Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Unit 4 Comp II

I am very glad there are rules about plagiarism to avoid others from stealing others work. I have a story to tell you about my daughter and plagiarism. My daughter Kendra is in the 9th grade this year. She broke her wrist in cheerleading and had to sit out of gym for 2 months. During this time her gym class was swimming and she was made to write a report on a famous swimmer. She was unable to write due to her wrist so she typed her paper. When she received her paper back she saw that she received an "F"! She has never had an F in her life and she knew she was going to get in big trouble. Needless to say she showed me the paper and I noticed she received her F because of plagiarism. She had copied and pasted a paragraph because she was getting tired of typing. I trully do not think she meant to plagiarize because she said to me, "The whole paper is my own words except that paragraph". I explained to her that she did not put it into quotes. She did not think she had to since it was cited. I explained how to put something in quotes if you write it word for word. I also told her to apologize to her teacher and explain to her that you misunderstood how to cite it. The teacher was nice enough to let her redo that paragraph the correct way or otherwise she would have failed gym class. Who fails gym class!!!! LOL! This shows how serious plagiarism is. Has anyone else had an experience with their childeren when it comes to plagiarism?

No comments:

Post a Comment